Thursday, December 28, 2006

Australian Migration Statistics 2005 - 2006

The Australian Department of Immigation and Multicultural has released new statistics for the 2005-2006 financial year covering arrivals and departures.

Because I know that some of my readers like to drop below the official and media reporting to look at the original data, I thought that I should give you the links to two key sets of data. They are:

I have only had time to scan the stats, but on the surface there is a whole variety of data not likely to be reported that is of great interest to those like me who want to understand what is happening in Australia.

Just to give a sample of what I mean.

In 2005-06 there were 131,593 settler arrivals, people migrating to Australia with permission to stay permanently, an increase of 7.5 per cent over the previous year. This is the headline figure that has been reported in the media.

This sounds good. But in that same year 67,853 permanent residents emigrated from Australia, an increase of 8.4 per cent. So we gained 131,593, lost 67,853 for a net gain of 63,740.

I would have thought that this was not a good performance.

I will report more once I have had a chance to absorb the numbers.

1 comment:

Lexcen said...

Thanks Jim, meanwhile I've downloaded the ABS yearbook. Will be looking into it.