Saturday, January 03, 2009

Saturday Morning Musings - why those who comment are so important to we bloggers; my thanks

Having just finished two mammoth posts (here and here) on my writings over 2008 on indigenous history and issues, I was not going to write my usual Saturday Morning Musings. Then I decided that I should, focusing on one small but very important point.

I haven't totaled all the posts I wrote on Australian indigenous issues, but there were a lot. I know from the earlier blog review that not all my readers like the indigenous focus - it is too specific, too local. It is also a bit of a mine field, leading to periodic fits of depression on my part.

Looking back, it is my commentators both in comments and through emails that have really kept me writing, while also guiding my focus. I cannot mention you all, but I thought that I might illustrate through example. Please forgive me for leaving you out.

In the case of Rhonda, my writing helped clarify one element of her ancestry. However, Rhonda also raised an issue that illustrates the interest and complexity of history. How come a NSW Aboriginal family was able to legally adopt a European baby at just the time that that the stolen generation - the removal of Aboriginal children was meant to be in full swing?

David Nash has consistently provided supporting information and answered queries that I have raised in my posts.

At the start of the year, Sue Hudson not only boosted my ego by recognising and contacting me because of my earlier historical research, but also gave me someone to talk to who shared my obsessions. She has been critical in improving my understanding of some of the dynamics affecting tribal distribution within New England. My thanks to Phillip Diprose, another UNE alumnus, for facilitating the introduction.

To Joe Lane who rekindled my enthusiasm at year end a special thanks. I promise that we will formally record Maria's work.

And to the dozen or so others who have also commented on posts or via email, my thanks too.

As I said, writing on some of this stuff is not always easy. Your comments make it worth while.

No comments: